Fribourg | Tram by night
|Fribourg | Tram by night
Located on the linguistic border between French-speaking Switzerland and German-speaking Switzerland, the city of Fribourg, along with Biel, is one of the two main cities in the country which speaks two languages. It is home to one of the three great cathedrals in French-speaking Switzerland, Saint-Nicolas, whose construction dates back to the 13th century.
Until recently, it was known throughout Switzerland for its famous Brasserie du Cardinal, founded in 1788. Its lager beer has quenched the thirst of several generations of Swiss inhabitants! The brand still exists today, but the brewery closed in 2012 and the beer is now produced in German-speaking Switzerland.
From 1897 to 1965, the city was traversed by a network of trams. The Ce 2/2 type motor coach shown crossing Fribourg at the end of the evening, n° 13, was the last built for the Fribourg network, in 1913. It was not preserved after its decommissioning.
But Fribourg has another relic from times gone by, which is still very much alive: its small funicular, which since 1899 has linked Lower Town to the current center of Friborg. Listed as a historic monument, it is one of the last in the world to use wastewater to operate. Loaded at the top in the descending vehicle, then released at the bottom, it is used to raise the other vehicle.
|Étorie on fine art paper
|Atelier WOCS, Genève
|Certificate of authenticity