Женева | Russian Church | Genève
|Geneva, Russian Church
Atelier WOCS, Robert Topulos
145 by 100cm.,57 by 39 in.
Signed and dated
The Russian orthodox church in Geneva is a genuine masterpiece of Byzantine-Muscovite style. This church was built thanks to the financial support of Geneva’s Russian orthodox community. Its sublime golden cupolas are a beacon that shines high over the city.
In 1859 the Russian orthodox community in Geneva was granted permission to build this church, with financial assistance from Anna Feodorovna Constancia, sister-in-law of Tsar Alexander 1st. Dostoyevsky baptised his daughter Sophie here.
Built in the quiet and stately Les Tranchées neighborhood of Geneva on the site of a former Benedictine priory. Its architecture is a masterpiece of Byzantine-Muscovite style and its golden cupolas, restored in 1966, are a magnificent landmark that can be seen from many miles distant.
Exteriors feature the aforementioned golden domes plus Byzantine-style striped arches and grand stained glass windows. Inside, treasures from the 16-20th centuries adorn the walls and the air is thick with the scent of incense.
The church is located at Rue De-Beaumont 18, between the Old Town and Boulevard des Tranchées.